Thursday, August 13, 2015

TBT–Redding reunion time!

 

scan0005

August is always family reunion time is hawt southwest Georgia in a teeny tiny town that just barely marks a spot on the Georgia map.  This brings thoughts to mind of so many who definitely won’t be there.  My dad died in ‘65.  This is such a classic pose of him, sitting in “his” place at the head of the kitchen table, with his arm propped up on the fold-down ironing board (wish I had one of those!), with the ever-present cigarette (yuck) in his right hand.  In all likelihood, there is a glass of whiskey on the table, which was ultimately the root cause of his early death at 46.

My Mother won’t be there either, since she died nine years ago.  Gone also are my older brother and a younger sister.

Mother

There are just two sisters-in-law left in my dad’s generation, and I know for sure that at least one of them is coming to the reunion Sunday.  I’ll be there so that I can visit with all the gathered kin, armed with my computer to collect any new info that needs to go into my genealogy program…and to share what info and photos  that I have to anyone who is interested.

One thing is for sure, in addition to all the talking, laughing, reminiscing, etc., there will be a whole lot of good southern food on that buffet table, along with plenty of sweet tea.  That is as sure as the fact that the sun will rise in the morning.  No southern family reunion is complete without an abundance of food and sweet tea.

I’m gonna miss my Mother’s pound cake…but hope that sister Nan will make it to bring.  I’m thinking of taking my Triple Chocolate Cake.  My kids will be hoping some will be leftover!

Family—food—fun…yep, there will be “a plenty” of all three on Sunday.  In hawt SOWEGA.  Do I hear a grateful amen  that the community center is now air-conditioned?

4 comments:

Sandee said...

You'll have a fabulous time. I know you will.

Have a terrific day honey. Big hugs to you and my very best to the babies. ♥♥♥

Jean(ie) said...

Have fun! It's always a good time to gather with family to hear the stories of years gone by. Pound cake sounds yummy! And yes, triple yay for air con!

Cruisin Paul said...

Pound cake sounds great to me. My parents have passed also and now I'm the oldest of our family. Can you believe it, I'm the oldest. LOL.
Have a unbelievable Friday Sandy. See ya.

Cruisin Paul

Barb said...

Aww... sweet memories. Family, food & fun. Nothing better, is there? Nosirree!

My parents come home tomorrow! Yay, except for the road trip to JAX to fetch them. But this time my dear friend Peggy has graciously voluntered to do the driving while she tells me all about meeting her first brand new grandbaby for the very first time on her trip to Washington state last week. It will be fun! And Al gets to stay home and play with his RV.

Have a blast... in the air conditioning. Double Yay! xoxo